Monday, September 6, 2010

Souvenirs from Colorado




Thought I would make a post of the stuff I brought back with us.  Most of what I did bring was pictures but I did manage to pick up a few souvenirs as well.  First I brought back an assortment of magnets.  The first one I got at a gas station right after we got into Kansas.  I paid 5 dollars for it which apparently is now the going rate for nice magnets.  The second has a hiking bear on it if you can't tell and says Rocky Mountain National Park.  I got this one in Estes Park. the third one has a vintage looking drawing of Estes Park and the Mountains, and the fourth one is obviously from Prairie Dog Town.  I asked about magnets at the Wonder View Tower but apparently this is the only thing they didn't have there.


Next is a history of the Stanley Hotel that was autographed by the author.  I haven't had time to read it yet but it looks like it will be fairly interesting.  I did notice this picture inside that shows the edges of a swastika that had been covered up by an aspen leaf logo on one of the fireplaces in the hotel.  Can't wait to see what that's all about.
It also has a section listing movies that have been shot there, including the last 1/4 of Dumb and Dumber, and the TV miniseries of The Shining.  According to the book, some of the famous people who have stayed there include Stephen King (duh), The Unsinkable Molly Brown (Titanic), Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Wayne Newton, Teddy Roosevelt, and what appears to be most of the cast of Dumb and Dumber.  Should be an interesting read.


 I bought this bandanna for Lindsay while we were at the gift shop on the Trail-Ridge Rd.  I thought what a great idea, a map that you can wear on your head and figured that it would come in handy if we got lost.  She never wore it on the trip, my guess is that she thinks its not fashionable.  I did ask if I could have it turned into a pillow and she told me no because she wants to wear it running.  Hopefully she doesn't need it because we are now a long way from Colorado.




This is a history of the Wonder View Tower in Genoa, also autographed by the author, Jerry Chubbuck, who happens to own the place.  Its quite a bit shorter than the one about the Stanley but looks interesting and contains quite a lengthy poem somebody wrote about the place.  Interestingly enough I was looking on ebay at postcards of the tower and noticed that on one of them the same cars were sitting out front of the place that are there today.  Now they are rusty piles filled with thousands of glass bottles.  I Should've taken a picture of that.

 








 
Finally is my piece-de-la-resistance.  This rock that looks like a slice of terd is actually a piece of coprolite.  What is coprolite you ask.  Why it is in fact a petrified dinosaur terd.  Its hard to see in my fuzzy photos but it is polished on one side so that you can see the pretty colors in it and it looks fabulous on my living room shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment